Africa Agenda is a grassroots organization with an extensive aspiration to advance understanding of Africa and Africans around the world. We work to foster this greater understanding and engagement about Africa and African society by promoting positive African news and information.
Since 2005 Africa Agenda has worked with bloggers and built networks in more than 15 African countries to report critical news and information about Africa in the 21st century. We have organized more than 150 events and published dozens of blog posts which provide exposure to issues impacting African elections, economic growth, the environment, business and culture.
As a result, more than 10,000 people from the local and international communities have met, discussed and exchanged information and ideas about emerging opportunities and ways to make life better for our communities. Now eight years old, we have barely begun our work.
“The work which Africa Agenda does to foster understanding and engagement about Africa, is unique, exciting and challenging at the same time,” says George Bamu, founder of our organization
Africa Agenda has focused its effort on expanding and growing the Africa Agenda website as a dynamic learning portal for news, information and blogs to strengthen the Africa-focused community and holding strategic events to spotlight successes, leadership and challenges in Africa today.
Registered as a 501(c)(3) in the Denver, Colorado, we seek to both test out and strengthen perspectives on Africa using local and international resources.
The organization has one staff member, the executive director, George Bamu, dozens of volunteer bloggers, editors and event organizers and a small annual budget.
We are looking for a new board member to add to our capacity and help us move forward. This new board member will bring their judgment, organizational abilities, fundraising know-how, connections and relationships to bear on our future growth. If you are passionate about expanding understanding of Africa and can contribute a few hours of your time per month, this is a dynamic opportunity to help a small organization grow and expand. The board member will need to be able to attend Board meetings in the Denver area, although, we are willing to consider strong candidates who are able to commit to internet/phone participation.
- Contribute to the Growth of the Organization
- Strategic Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Assist in Raising Funds
- Contribute Specific Skills – We are looking for people who have one or more of the following skills:
- Accountant/Business expertise
- Lawyer, particularly with media experience
- Media professionals
- Africa-related program experience
- Board leadership experience
- Events and event planning
- Non-profit development
- Attend monthly board meetings. Given our small size, this is an opportunity to work closely for the advancement of the organization.
- Attend Africa Agenda events. We plan to hold from six to twelve events in 2014. Board members are asked to be present when they can make it.
- Advocate for Africa Agenda. We are looking to connect with Africa-related opportunities, networks, funding and enthusiastic volunteers.
- Act on the responsibilities and requests you take on. As a small organization the number one thing we need is follow-through.
If interested in joining us and to learn more, please send your CV and a cover email with the subject line “Board Recruitment” to Office@AfricaAgenda.org