World Press Freedom Day May 3, 2016
Held at the Posner Center for International Development, the event brought together local journalists, academia, students and the public to discuss issues of free speech around the world and how they relate to international development.
Moderated by media expert and consultant, Susan Abbott, the panelists included the following:
- Robert Uttaro Ph.D., Professor University of Denver (Nigeria)
- Sherry Manning, Founder and Executive Director, Friends of ENCA Farms (the Philippines)
- Charles Kirya, CEO & Founder MEAIntl LLC (Uganda)
- Marcelo A. Ramirez Garcia-Rojas, Student, University of Denver (Mexico)
- Tony Shawcross, Executive Director, Open Media Foundation (Honduras and Colorado)
- George Bamu, Founder and Executive Director, Africa Agenda (Cameroon)
Prior to the discussions, the audience was treated to a film, Reportera, which chronicled the challenges which journalists face in Mexico as they report about crime, drug cartels, and other social problems.
We’ll post more information about the event on this website subsequently. Stay tuned!